Monday, October 28, 2013

I Watch Scandal

Houston, we have a problem....What should one do when his or her two-year old is obsessed with the ABC hit drama, Scandal????

Ok, I understand that some people may nominate me for the "Worst Mom of the Year Award", but I swear to you that I am not actually watching Scandal with my two-year old son.  You see, my husband and I recently became fans of the show.  We sort of overdosed on it by watching the first two Seasons rapid fire on Netflix   This way we could catch up in time for the start of Season 3.  Although we never watched the show in front of our son, I guess we discuss it often when he is in earshot. Let me tell you folks, if you think your kids aren't listening to what you say, you are dead wrong. So we discuss it on a pretty frequent basis and little ears must be perking up each time that we do. Now on any given day and out of the blue our little guy will say "I watch Scandal?".  The first time he said it we sort of giggled and shook our heads in the "kids say the darndest things" sort of way...  But, then he started asking for it on a more regular basis.  He now requests to see Scandal more than he asks to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, sigh.....Any time the  TV switches on in his presence, he's first inclination is to announce "That's not Scandal".  Ofcourse it's not Scandal, kid, you're TWO!  You shouldn't be watching it.  You don't even know what it is...

Our new approach is to spell out the name of the show when we want to discuss it "Can you believe what Olivia did on S-C-A-N-D-A-L last night?"
Except now he knows what we are spelling.  I kid you not.... When we spell it out, his response..."I like Scandal!"  How is this possible?  I thought we would have the luxury of spelling things in front of the little ones until they were at least 7 years old.  What the heck?!

Now I cringe when anyone mentions TV in general or dare I say, they mention Scandal by name.  I just know that at any given moment he might say that he watches it or that he likes it. Thank god he doesn't go to school yet.  Lord knows what the teachers might think of us if he tells the little tots that his favorite tv show is Scandal.  I can imagine we would receive a knock on the door from DCYF.

Anyway, the moral of my story is that kids are listening.  They are on alert and they tend to harp on the things you definitely wouldn't want them to.  I know my son is seemingly wise beyond his years, but this is a bit extreme.  So, for now on I will keep discussion of my favorite shows to a minimum and keep young eyes and ears away from the tellie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment